Friday 5 September 2014

Musings about word choice in songs

Good afternoon lovelies,

There has been something that has been bugging me for a little while, and that is the over use of the repetition of single words in a song. It's a little thing to be bugged about, but it drives me bonkers when I hear a song on the radio and it's lyrics are on repeat.

For example, Taylor Swifts new song has a mass amount of repetition in it. The chorus alone goes a little something like this:

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
Shake it off, shake it off
Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

I can't begin to tell you how tedious it is to even type all that out but it doesn't end there. Katy Perry, whom I love and am going to her concert in December, also does it a wee bit in her new song This Is How We Do by repeating the word 'do' in the following line: "This is how we do, do, do, do, do"

But the one song that really grinds my goat and I have to switch it off is Boom Clap by Charli XCX because of the line: "and the beat goes on, and on, and on, and on, and." Good God I can't stand it! It just sounds like there were no other words to come up with so why not just repeat 'on and on', and then to make it worse, it does sound like she is going on and on and on and on and on and on and on for ever.

It's something so small, but it drive me a little crazy when I hear these songs, and others who do the same thing, come on the radio because I feel like they are a bit of a cop out. I feel like I'm being insulted as a music listener and they perhaps assume that my brain is so narrow and slow that I couldn't possibly handle more lyrics. In a nut shell, these songs make me feel stupid when I hear them.

What do you think? Are you bothered about this like I am? I'm going to take a wild guess and figure that I'm probably the only one :)

J.C Lemon xx

2 comments:

  1. I actually completely agree, it feels lazy. Like they couldn't come up with enough lyrics, so they just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I feel it's insulting, and it's done a lot in the pop music you hear on the radio. It's probably why I don't listen to the radio very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks it all sounds lazy and insulting :)

      Delete